I’m Veena, a recent Yale English/journalism graduate and lover of plane tickets and croissants. Originally from Singapore (though half-Irish and half-Thai), I’m currently living in leafy SW London and working in the City.
My previous editorial experience includes writing for the Yale Daily News and working at Forbes in New York and The Business of Fashion in London. Other professional experiences range from e-commerce at Sweaty Betty, marketing for a Yale alumni-run venture capital fund and leading digital strategy for a start-up that connects entrepreneurs with investors and capital. I also write for sustainable fashion and lifestyle brands on a freelance basis.
I’m interested in the intersection of fashion — an industry that often measures worth and prestige on the basis of heritage and past traditions — and technology, which is innately valued in terms of its newness and capacity for the future. In particular, I’m fascinated by the way fashion-tech entrepreneurs view a sector defined by its history through a lens that is constantly redefined by innovation. Most of all, I’m passionate about telling these stories.
At present, I’m focused on strategic communications in the retail/consumer space, advising FTSE 100 and luxury clients on complex transactions, ESG corporate strategy and reputation management at Finsbury. I also write a weekly newsletter sharing resources for young professionals seeking to exercise a greater sense of ownership over their lives.
Below is a selection of my writing:
- August 11th, 2020: “Meet The Start-Up Helping Brands Like H&M Swap Overproduction For AI-Powered Customisation” – Re-Archive
- July 5th, 2020: “How Quarantine Has Reshaped My Approach To Productivity” – Goodness Magazine
- “Meet the Startup Aiming to #DiversifyTheMedia by Connecting Unpaid Interns to Industry Hosts” – Forbes
- “Rethinking Fashion E-Commerce: The Extraordinary World of Collagerie” – Forbes
- “This Luxury Startup Is Paving The Way With Pain-Free High-Heels” – Forbes
- “Harper Wilde Receives $2 Million To Boost The Warby Parker of Bras” – Forbes
- “Behind the Scenes of Instagram’s Million-Dollar Influencer Brand Deals” – Forbes
- “Meet the Fashion Brands That Want You To Wear Less” – Forbes
- October 14th, 2016: “Silence and Light: Louis Kahn’s Legacy at the YCBA” – Yale Daily News WKND Cover Feature
- December 9th, 2016: “One Yale, Under Armour” – Yale Daily News WKND Cover Feature